Sunday, December 20, 2015

The ending year and the rising of a new one

By Josimar Salum*

       Today I woke up singing a song I heard throughout my childhood. While singing with my thoughts it occurred to me that this year is nearing its end. I awoke as if I had woken up on the day the angels appeared in the skies of Israel proclaiming: “For today in the city of David there has been born for you a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.” And my heart was filled with gratitude and peace from knowing throughout these years God has taken care of me and my family.

       I see my Jewish friends participating in the lighting of the candles for eight days long in their December festival. For us the year is ending, for them it just began a few moons ago. Did you know that there are millions of Christians who prefer to celebrate “Hanukah” instead of Christmas? Yes, it is a time for celebrations, lights, it’s time for Christmas, family, typical culinary recipes, the exchanging of gifts, special music and at this time of year there is a countdown from days, to hours, and finally minutes and seconds to finish this year and begin the “new one”.

       However, I cannot fail to acknowledge that during this year I have presenced suffering and pain all round me and far away. There were many days of laughing and joy, but many of trials and storms. I began this year crying, in January, when I received a message through “whatsapp” from Alexandre and Giovana Canhoni (1) soon after they had fled from their base with their children, workers, and many others from the capital of Niger to escape with their lives from Muslim terrorists instigated by “Boko Haram” who destroyed everything they had due to the simple fact of them being followers of Jesus.

       I cried in April for the Nepalese when the earthquake destroyed their country and at the same time I rejoiced upon knowing that my missionary friends Silvio & Rosmari Silva (2) were there to save many lives with others who journeyed to Nepal with the missionary Mario Freitas from MORE (3) who helped mobilize many Brazilians to contribute to the easing of the unimaginable pain suffered by those who lost loved ones along with everything they had.

       I cried in August while walking down the streets of Antananarivo, capital of Madagascar (4) upon seeing literally thousands and thousands of children wandering the streets as if they had lost their parents even though many were accompanied by their mothers and fathers. I cried upon recognizing my incapacity to do anything to help these beautiful people of God and I was reminded that even though I couldn’t solve all the problems, I could contribute with the teaching of the Lord that is free to all, rich and poor, and I calmed my heart upon reminding myself that suffering children are safe in the arms of Jesus.

       I cried also with the sons and daughters of Burundi, a country in central Africa, (5) who witnessed their friends being murdered by those who should have been protecting them. I saw photographs I never should had seen, but I couldn’t ignore them, images of violence against special human beings, and while trying to comfort them, I was comforted by hearing of God’s provision and the hope they have in the fact that their Redeemer lives. 


       I cried for the refugees in Syria and Iraq, I became outraged and angry when I saw brothers in Christ having their throats slit in those countries and in Libya by soulless men, the Islamic State terrorists (ISIS) and I was dumbfounded when I heard one of the mothers of these victims say what she would do to the man that killed her son: “I would take him into my home and prepare him a meal”, because she had forgiven him, and praised God for him having advanced her son’s meeting with Jesus.

       Do you understand now why my heart was filled with gratitude upon waking this morning? God takes care of us in different ways and manners. Be it in the midst of terrible suffering, be it in any situation, God provides, even our lives are like vapor. Sickness, terror, and death can all destroy our bodies, but they cannot destroy our essence, because he who does the will of God lasts forever.

       Jesus said: “And this is the will of him who sent me; that I shall lose none of all that he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day." (John 6: 39-40)

(*) Josimar Salum is a writer, Director of MORE International in the United States and President of Youseph & Daniel, Inc (6), a business for Income Tax, Accounting, New Corporations and Business Consultancy.

Translation from Portuguese version by Filipe Simas

Published originally in Portuguese at Bate Papo Magazine

(1) Alexandre & Giovana Canhoni – Niger

(2) The Apple of God’s Eyes – Nepal  

(3) More International – For the Suffering Church 
      www.moreinternational.org

(4) Madagascar National Transformation

(5) Africa Great Lakes Cause – SOS Burundi

(6) Youseph and Daniel, Inc


No comments: